History of Dasher and Dasher Cemetery
The first forefathers of the settlers of south Lowndes County appear in the 1840 census as James Wisenbaker and C.H. Dasher. Family history reports the families moved to the "Wiregrass County" of Lowndes sometime after the birth of Georgia Ann Dasher, seventh child of Christian Herman and Elizabeth Waldhauer Dasher, on July 28, 1832.
In 1845, land lots in District 11 were selling for $75.00 per lot and in 1855, the price had increased to $1,500 per lot. Richard Herman was apparently already living in the Dasher vicinity since he had established a "congregation of New Testament Christianity" in southern Lowndes County at the time of the War Between the States. Richard's first home was located one half mile east of South 41 on Johnston Road. There is nothing left on this home place but a stand of crepe myrtle trees. Sometime before 1861, Richard built the house still standing on U.S. 41 in Dasher. The house was constructed using slave labor.
The church Richard started in 1842 was apparently held in his home since on September 12, 1884 he donated three acres of land to build a sanctuary and a cemetery. The recipients of the gift were Jasper McLeod, Richard S. Wisenbaker, and Frederick Hineley, Jr. acting as trustees for the Corinth Church of Christ. About forty members of what is now known as the Corinth Baptist Church began to meet with the Richard group as the Corinth Church of Christ in order to follow more closely New Testament teachings. The church is now known as the Dasher Church of Christ. In 1952 the church was moved about one fourth mile to a location facing Georgia Christian School.
Today Dasher has a New City Hall, Park, and Museum. The Cemetery shows the history and people that helped make what Dasher is today.